Facts About Workplace Violence
- Third leading cause of death for all workers
- Leading cause of workplace death for women.
- 15 people/wk murdered a week
- Includes robbery, rape, and simple and aggravated assault.
- Robbery is a primary motive
- Disgruntled workers /clients
- Domestic violence spills into workplace
- Guns are most frequently used weapon
- Nearly 1 million victims annually.
- Accounts for 15% of the violence experienced by US residents.
- Those who deal with the public are the most affected.
- Employees are twice as likely to be attacked by customers as by co-workers.
- 20% of workplace violence is perpetrated by co-workers.
- 1,751,100 workdays are lost yearly
- Over $55 million in lost wages annually
- 16% of workplace violence results in physical injuries
- Over half of all workplace violence is not reported to police
Return - Main Menu